Rezaf Diary

I'll write about my daily life, as a PhD Student at the University of Illinois. I'll put some photos from my town, Urbana, and some music.

Monday, September 17, 2007

I have come back, to my senses.

I'm a procrastinator. Here, I admitted it. I spend hours and hours reading about gaming industry's rumors and news instead of playing them (Yeah, that's retarded!) I spend even more hours reading news, to see what's happening on the face of our poor planet. I kill time watching pointless youtube videos.

So, I may have come back to my senses. How? Well, it was a coincident. I came across this funny video from Digg. Well, it's certain that you'll feel something wrong with it after laughing for a few seconds: It's so kiddish! I mean, I haven't done any type of these "funny" stuff for almost 15 years now!

BANG! Reality suddenly hit me hard. Here I am, in one of the top national graduate schools wasting my time watching teenager stuff, and wasting my time reading the damn comments!

NO MORE, I say. I've gotta quit this, as hard as it may be. And the best way to quit something is taking it away. But wait, I'm a research student, I need google at least twice an hour! Well, the answer is this: BLOCK the sites you know are time-hogs!

As great as sites like Digg, Youtube, Google news and Balatarin (Persian equivalent of Digg) are, they just consume TOOOOO much of my time, and hence are blocked. Well, I've set them to be accessible 1 hour per day. If anyone wants my modifications to Gina's hack (add a finish time to the view limit), please say so in comments.

I hope this solution can help me quit my addiction to cyberslacking!

P.S. The rule of tolerable ten looks promising too!

Note: Click on the photos to enlarge them.

If you feel interested in any of them and want to get the original file, please don't hesitate to email me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home