Rezaf Diary

I'll write about my daily life, as a PhD Student at the University of Illinois. I'll put some photos from my town, Urbana, and some music.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Programmers of the world, go learn Java!

Java is for sissies, real programmers do C! Or for that matter, they prefer assembly! Perl is cool, Python is way more cooler! All the jobs today require MySQL and PHP...

These are all common wisdom, ain't them? Well my programmer friends, I've got news for you. NO, they're not!

This is a list of top 15 (ok, 14!) jobs that I compiled from job postings in a popular job posting website (http://www.dice.com/). I simply entered the name of some popular programming languages and wrote down the number of results returned. A total number of 86899 jobs were returned, which I sorted them and did the graph below.



Now this is interesting, isn't it? Who knew that Java has conquered commercial frontiers? PHP any one? NO, go learn simple scripting! Oh my God, people are still looking for COBOL programmers. More than PHP and Python. WOW!

So what should we learn here? That if you want to get into a programming job, if you know Java, C, .NET platforms and some simple scripting, then you're qualified for 60% of the companies. (and no, don't waste your time on PHP, Perl or Python).

Note that I'm not talking about how cool or powerful or even useful a language is. I'm talking about GETTING PAID doing programming.

Now where is my old Java textbook...?!

Note: Click on the photos to enlarge them.

If you feel interested in any of them and want to get the original file, please don't hesitate to email me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home